Homemade Remedies for Severe Morning SicknessPosted on Apr 30, 2012 | Blog Posts, Morning Sickness Remedies Category | | Print This Article
For many women who suffer from morning sickness, the medications that are available either by prescription or over the counter are either ineffective or have side effects that are sometimes even worse than the morning sickness. This is certainly true of some medications in the past, the most famous of course being thalidomide.
Fortunately, there are quite a few homemade remedies for morning sickness that people have had success with:
- One of the best ways to avoid an morning sickness, or even to help remedy an morning sickness, is to keep hydrated. It is important to drink enough fluids throughout the day, not just to help with an upset stomach, but for general health concerns. Whenever possible, you should drink clear and cold liquids such as water or soda pops that are clear of colorings and caffeine.
- Mint and ginger are both known to have a soothing effect on morning sickness. Many people have had success with a variety of types of peppermint teas, for example. If tea isn’t your thing, you can mix some peppermint oil into a drink of juice or lemonade. You can get ginger in a variety of ways, such as ginger tea or ginger root supplements. Ginger is especially effective if your upset stomach is due to morning sickness or to travel sickness.
- The BRAT diet, which consists of Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast, can help when you have morning sickness. By eating these foods that are relatively bland, you can avoid irritating your stomach any further.
- Avoiding foods that are greasy or that are high in saturated fats may also help to remedy morning sickness. These foods are known to create indigestion and irritate your digestive tract. In addition, there are many other health benefits that can be gained form avoiding these types of foods.
- One interesting recipe for helping to remedy severe morning sickness comes from Mexico. Use 1/8 teaspoon of cumin and either boil mint leaves or use mint tea and add the cumin. Another recipe you can try is to mix an ounce of olive oil, 5 mg. of baking soda, a lime, and a can of a clear soda pop. Another homemade remedy is to drink really strong chamomile tea. Some people have had success with eating pineapple or drinking pineapple juice, as well.
Ultimately, if your morning sickness is severe and prolonged, you should contact your health care provider to determine if there is a more serious problem.
Top of Page